Saturday, April 11, 2009

Lanae Verse Four: Maybe

If she told me were through
I swear I'd die
Couldn't live without her
That's for sure

Or maybe

If she told me it was over
I'd go climb in a hole
And cover up with a rock
Yeah; a rock

Or maybe

If she told me to forget it
I'd cry the night on
I'd become dehydrated
Shrivel up like a prune

Or maybe

If she said that she wished we never had happened
I'd tell her she was wrong
And go and date
Possibly her best friend

Or maybe

If she broke all the promises
I'd lose all sanity
Ride the padded wall
And screw society

Or maybe

If she returned the ring
I'd recycle it
Forget her
And live on

But screw the maybe's
I'm always hers
Or maybe

--written 1996

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this poem. I traded all the 'she's' with 'he's' and I remembered being a teenager thinking all these dramatic things about someone I thought maybe I loved. Always changing my mind, and then not.. thinking things could change, and then they don't.. running myself around in circles, always on edge. I don't know that I ever loved anyone this way, where I wasn't sure from day to day whether they did love me or not. I guess that's why I said in the beginning "I thought maybe I loved" because when you love someone it really is fluid. You move in and out of each other, you have trust and confidence, and that person is your best friend as well as the person you love. And then at the end where it says "screw the maybe's, I'm always hers, or maybe" -to me I feel like this is always the outcome. Who the hell cares! I'll love them anyway not matter what they think! This is a dangerous thought because it's like throwing a fit. It's clingy and desperate and immature.. like the whole poem. Grown-up relationship go deeper than teenage relationships, I think, because when we're teens our emotions bounce off the walls. (I don't think women ever grow out of that btw) When we mature a little bit we crave closeness that goes beyond simple admiration or acceptance. We want comfort. We're more independent. We no longer have a curfew. These poetic words above are that of someone who has some spite. It makes me laugh a little bit. I hope they grow out of it ;)